This craze of turning desserts into smoothies started for me last winter. It began with a Blueberry Cobbler Smoothie that I make all the time. I have to say, that is one of my most favorites! Then, I developed an Apple Pie Smoothie, in both green and “non green” versions. Perfect for sweet fall apples. So, after several readers requested pumpkin recipes, I knew I had to turn that favorite pumpkin pie into a smoothie too. I think this will make you pumpkin lovers very happy.
Pumpkin is a great source of vitamin A, potassium and other minerals. Its dense texture is filling without being loaded with calories. You can adjust the amount of pumpkin you’d like in this recipe. The recipe, as is, will create a thick smoothie that you can drink with a straw or eat with a spoon. It’s very pumpkin “pie-ish”! If you’d rather have a thinner version, just reduce the amount of pumpkin to 1/4 cup.
- 5 ice cubes
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (reduce to ¼ cup for a thinner smoothie)
- ½ frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon golden flaxseed meal (or you can use 1 tablespoon almond meal)
- 2-3 teaspoons pure maple syrup, or to taste
- ¾ cup almond milk (I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but any milk you prefer is fine)
- dash of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch each of nutmeg, cardamom and fine sea salt
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Serve in tall glasses with a straw or a spoon.