Six months ago, my daughter was diagnosed with a very complicated endocrine disorder that affects her body’s ability to metabolize carbohydrates and has made her insulin resistant. We’ve always felt that our diet was a healthy one, but our definition of healthy has dramatically changed since her diagnosis. In order to reduce her risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes, something that runs in my family, and to keep her insulin levels from spiking, we pay very close attention to carbohydrates.
So many foods that we thought of as “healthy” in the past are loaded with carbs. We’ve learned so much over the past six months and have found alternatives to satisfy those foods that we’ve done away with. One of the things that make us really happy, is finding healthy, low-carb snacks that not only keep my daughter’s levels where they need to be, but also taste delicious to everyone! Because really, socializing can be the most challenging part of sticking to this type of eating plan.
This dip is incredible whether you’re concerned about carbs or not! The Greek yogurt is a wonderful rich and creamy base, full of protein. We love the zesty jalapeño that adds just a bit of heat. Citrusy lime, fresh cilantro and buttery avocado round out those flavors to create the perfect dip! So, with a dip like this, our former selves would probably reach for a bag of tortilla chips. Not any more…but we still crave something with a great crunch! Our new go-to for dipping is a variety of veggies. A new favorite is cutting up red cabbage into a large dice. Red cabbage has a low glycemic load…great for a satisfying crunch! Some other low-glycemic veggies to use are: kale, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower.
What are some of your favorite ways to reduce carbohydrates?
- 16 ounces (more or less, depending on the yogurt you buy) Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 avocado, pealed and pitted
- 2 medium jalapeños, coarsely chopped (seeds and ribs completely removed if you don’t like the spiciness)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4-6 sprigs fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1-2 green onions roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Vegetables Ideas for serving:
- red cabbage
- red pepper
- In your food processor or blender, add all of the ingredients. Process for a minute or until smooth.
- Serve with an assortment of fresh vegetables.