This is what you make when you want your pie, but not the fat or empty calories! You may remember when I turned Blueberry Cobbler into a smoothie! Well, I’ve been feeling inspired since then to turn every one of my favorite desserts into a healthy smoothie!
I first developed this as a green smoothie…and it was incredible! I couldn’t wait to share it with you. Then I figured, there may be some of you out there who might find the green unappealing. So, I’m including the non-green version! I have to say, if you make this smoothie both ways and taste test, you’ll see what I mean when I say, “You’ll never, ever taste the green!” And honestly, my whole family actually prefers the green version! Give it a try and let me know which you like best!
Apple Pie Smoothie Two Ways
- about 6 ice cubes
- 1 organic apple washed, quartered and cored (leave the skin on)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon I use Saigon cinnamon, see Notes
- pinch allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts optional
- 1 -2 large handfuls of spinach just for the green version
- honey or pure maple syrup to taste if desired (see Notes)
- Put all ingredients, except for the honey or maple syrup (and except for the spinach if you are going non-green), into the blender. Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy. Give it a taste to check the sweetness and add the honey or maple accordingly.
If you are using plain almond milk, you may want to add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. I use Saigon cinnamon in this recipe. You can use any cinnamon you have. I like the Saigon cinnamon because it has a much bolder flavor that I really like! Try it if you can and let me know what you think! Don't add the honey or maple syrup until you've blended the smoothie and given it a taste. Depending on the sweetness of your apple and banana, you may not need it at all. I added just a bit of honey on my third test and it was way too sweet!