You are going to love this healthy Chai Spiced Banana Bread, made without refined sugar and infused with flavors of warm spices. Easily adapts to vegan or gluten free.
I seem to start yearning for warmer spices as the temperatures begin to cool. Remember these Chai Spiced Oatmeal Crisps? The flavors of chai spice are some of my favorites, with cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, ginger and spicy pepper. During the holiday season, especially, they just make the house smell wonderful and warm.
If you’re like me, you buy way too many bananas. I grab a bunch just about every time I shop…then roll my eyes as soon as I get home and take a peek at the pile of bananas on the counter. Thankfully, between smoothies and banana bread, we do use them up.
Banana bread just seems to be a universal favorite. I’ve got so many versions…like this so-delicious-it-could-pass-as-dessert German Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, or this yummy Coconut Pecan Banana Bread, and my basic Banana Bread. There’s so much love, that I even created a Banana Bread Smoothie a few years ago that became a reader favorite!
This time around, I wanted to incorporate spices that feel like fall and winter. The fragrant spices used in masala chai, or spiced tea, taste and smell like warmth to me and are really lovely in baked goods. I also wanted to keep things light and, as always, give you healthier options. So, I sweeten this loaf with deep, smokey dark maple instead of refined sugars. The maple compliments the spices so nicely. This easy recipe can also be made with all whole wheat flour to increase the fiber and protein a bit.
If you get the chance to bake this up, I’d love to see your beautiful creations! Just snap a photo and tag it with #tasteloveandnourish on Instagram.
Chai Spiced Banana Bread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/3 cup avocado oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pure dark maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana about 3 medium bananas
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Grease a loaf pan or line it with parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt and spices, until combined well.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs lightly, then add the avocado oil and maple. Whisk to combine. Add the milk, vanilla and mashed banana and whisk a bit more.
- Pour the wet ingredients on top of the dry and stir just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing the loaf from the pan. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.