When I was a teenager, I spent my summers working with my sister. We worked for our Dad doing office work and bookkeeping. The best part of the day was when we secretly snuck out of the office on those hot afternoons. Giggling the whole way, we’d head to our local Wendy’s, for a thick, chocolatey frosty. Back then, calories, fat and sugar meant nothing to me.
These days…when those cravings hit, this frosty, thick smoothie hits the spot and reminds me of those summer afternoons. This version is completely vegan, gluten-free and is made without any refined sugar. The best part…it’s got some great plant-based protein, kind of making it suitable for breakfast…don’t you think?
I’ve played around with different proportions to the get the texture just right, but the simple ingredients are key to making this so light. Unsweetened almond milk, oat milk or macadamia milk are all great plant-protein options for this frosty smoothie. Unsweetened cocoa powder adds just enough chocolatey goodness and one frozen banana provides sweetness along with a creamy texture. Add a couple of dates, if you’d like some extra sweetness. Lots of ice give this that frosty thickness, but be sure to process on high speed in your blender until nice and smooth. The last trick is to add a bit of your favorite vegan protein powder. That lends some creaminess and adds a bit of flavor.
So, whether you’re sneaking out of your office for some frosty fun or you’re whipping this up as an after-school snack for the kids…enjoy, my friends!
- 1 frozen medium banana broken in half
- 1 cup Unsweetened plant-based milk of choice almond, oat or macadamia are my favorites
- 2 pitted dates optional, for extra sweetness
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegan vanilla protein powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of fine sea salt
- Place all of the ingredients into the pitcher of your blender. Process on the smoothie setting or on high speed for about 40 to 45 seconds or until smooth.
- Serve with a spoon or straw.