I’ve got a major weakness for chocolate. I actually eat a small piece just about every single night. Many of my friends and family have admitted to the same indulgence, making me think that this bark may be the perfect little homemade gift for this coming holiday season.
I’m not going to tell you that topping chocolate off with nuts, fruits, chia seeds and hemp seeds is going to create a guiltless healthy treat. I wish I could. But really, any chance to throw healthy ingredients into our diet is just a good thing. And, when you pair them with chocolate…that’s an even better thing. Right? This bark has such great crunch from the nuts and seeds, pops of sweetness from the cranberries and raisins, and that perfect balance of sweet and salty from those crunchy bits of coarse sea salt on top.
Making chocolate bark is incredibly simple, but I think my lazy-girl method is even easier. I like to use the low heat of the oven to get the nuts toasty…don’t skip that step…it makes all the difference in the world. Once they are done, I melt the chocolate in the oven. It’s just much gentler than using a microwave, which can really zap the chocolate with too much heat and simpler than using a double-boiler over the stove…and less to clean up…always a plus.
Don’t tell my friends, but everyone is getting a bag of this bark for the holidays! To get you in the holiday mode, I’ve got such a treat! I’ll be co-hosting a Pinterest Party with the wonderful Coryanne Ettiene of Kitchen Living with Coryanne, Chris Nease of Celebrations at Home and Diamond Crystal Salt, who will be giving away five, one hundred dollar Visa gift cards! If you love finding great inspiration on Pinterest, like I do, this will be a fun night together! See below for more information. I hope you join us!
- ¼ cup pecan halves
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 10 to 12 ounces dark chocolate (or your favorite chocolate)
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries (I prefer the reduced-sugar variety)
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 teaspoons shelled hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
- Combine the pecans, pistachios, almonds and pepitas on a baking sheet. Place them in the oven and toast for about 10 to 12 minutes, keeping a close eye on them to avoid getting too toasty. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool while you melt the chocolate.
- Place the chocolate on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Set it in the oven, still at 250 degrees, for about 5 minutes. Keep peeking at it and as soon as the chocolate has softened, remove it from the oven.
- Using an off-set spatula, spread the chocolate out into about ⅛ inch thick slab. Sprinkle on the toasted nuts and continue with the remaining ingredients.
- Slide the slab with the parchment onto a cool counter, marble pastry board or cutting board to cool and harden. This will just give you a nice flat surface in case your baking sheet is a bit wobbly like mine is. Cool for about one hour or more if needed. If your room temperature is not cool, it may take longer. You can slide the board into a freezer for just two minutes to get things going.
- Cut into random shapes with a sharp knife. If packaging the bark for gift-giving, be sure it’s cooled and hardened completely and stored in a cool spot.
Time: 8pm – 9pm EST
Where: Pinterest and Twitter tag #DiamondCrystalSalt on the Holiday Recipes Board.
Follow: @CoryanneEttiene @DCSalt @tasteLUVnourish @CelebrateAtHome
Prizes: Diamond Crystal® Salt will be gifting 5 x $100 Visa Gift Cards during the Pinning Party to 5 lucky winners chosen at random from those participants following the rules and regulations.
How To: Joining a Pinning Party is as easy as following the party board and the hosts, then popping on to Pinterest to watch the party pins populate live during the party hour. By following the board and the hosts, you will see all the party themed pins as they are populated and be able to engage live with everyone else at the party by leaving comments on the party pins, re-pinning the pins that inspire you and sharing your favorite pins on Facebook and Twitter. During the party, 5 prize pins will appear that look like graphic question pins. For a chance to win one of the five prizes, leave a comment on the prize pins with your answer to the questions asked. Can’t make the party hour? Don’t worry, the beauty of a Pinning Party is that the pins are there for you to review long after the party ends so you can still capture all of the inspiration even if you can’t make the party.
Rules & Regulations: Prizes are open to US residents over the age of 18. Winners will be selected at random from the comments left on the prize pins, and announced following the Pinning party by @CoryanneEttiene. Winners will be sent a private Pin message to notify them of their win so please be sure to follow @CoryanneEttiene to keep the communication lines open. No purchase necessary, void where prohibited. For a full list of rules and regulations, contact Ettiene Media LLC. This Pinning Party is not associated with Pinterest and is an independent joint venture between the representative parties of Diamond Crystal® Salt and Ettiene Media LLC.
Disclaimer: Ettiene Media, LLC has partnered with Diamond Crystal® Salt on a Autumn long media program and has been compensated to run the social programs, including the hosting of 2 social parties on Pinterest. All thoughts expressed are my own.