Ahhh, January. That month where I seek out anything green and try to repent for damages done during the holiday season. Let me tell you, I’ve done some damage. This kale salad makes me feel so much better.
We all know just how nutritious kale can be, but its tough texture can turn some people off. I get it. But, did you know, that just a five minute rub down with some olive oil could turn those tough leaves into a tender and more delicate salad? It’s pretty amazing. The longer you massage, the more the leaves will break down, become soft and actually absorb the flavors of the olive oil and lemon.
I love the combination of the salty and buttery Parmesan with the freshness of lemon and bursts of juicy pomegranate. You won’t feel like you’re in detox-mode eating this. Besides, it’s just so pretty. Happy New Year!
Massaged Kale Salad with Parmesan, Pine Nuts and Pomegranate
- 1 large bunch kale leaves stripped from stalks and torn
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice and zest of one lemon
- two pinches fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Parmesan grated (omit to keep this vegan)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1/3 cup pomegranate arils
- Spread the kale leaves on your largest baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, lemon and sprinkle on the sea salt. Massage the oil into the leaves for several minutes. The leaves will begin to darken, shrink a bit and soften. Taste test and continue massaging until the leaves have softened to your preference.
- Top with black pepper, Parmesan shavings, pine nuts and pomegranate arils.
- This salad keeps well for about two to three days in the fridge without becoming soggy.
Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens
Gorgeous! What a lovely combination of different flavors … and so many nutritious ingredients, too! I just love it! Can’t wait to pin this and share – it truly is just the thing we all need after those over-indulgent holiday splurges! :D
Shelley, you are so sweet! Thanks so much for sharing!
You don’t have to convince me to love the kale salad! I’m right there with you. The bursts of pomegranate in every bite sound so great.
Awww…thanks so much, Joanne!
Amy @ Elephant Eats
I’m def more of a cooked kale person, myself, but massaged is the next best thing! This salad sounds delicious…and looks beautiful!
Thanks so much, Amy! I know what you mean…raw kale can be pretty tough, but massaging makes a huge difference.
Katie | Healthy Seasonal Recipes
I have to make this. My body is craving kale right now. Such pretty photos too my dear. Happy new year.
Mine is too, Katie! Too many holiday cookies for me! :) Thanks, dear friend…Happy new year to you, too!