This is a salad I’ve wanted to share with you since…well, the fall. Yes, it screams fall, doesn’t it? Well, if you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen that I received a box full of gorgeous Piñata apples from one of my favorite clients, Stemilt. To be honest, they were so delicious, I hardly had the chance to experiment with them in the kitchen. They are amazingly sweet and crisp. So, with one apple left, I decided I’d have to incorporate it into my favorite slaw.
I’m one of those people who find chopping therapeutic. I put on some great music and just focus on enjoying the process. What I’m getting at is, there’s lots of chopping in creating this salad, but so worth it. Really and truly. You could certainly try using a box grater, (I use it for the carrots), but you’ll get a finer texture that won’t look quite the same.
What if I tell you this slaw is loaded with bits of sweet apple, buttery pecans, nutty sunflower seeds and salty creamy crumbles of blue cheese, then topped with a Dijon and maple vinaigrette? Yeah, I knew you’d change your mind about all of that chopping!
Red Cabbage and Brussels Sprouts Slaw
- 3/4 to 1 pound red cabbage coarsely shredded
- 3/4 to 1 pound brussels sprouts ends trimmed and shredded
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 1 large Piñata apple cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 4 ounces blue cheese crumbles omit to keep vegan
- <b>Dijon Maple Vinaigrette</b>
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl (I use the largest I have so that there's room to toss), combine the shredded cabbage, brussels sprouts, carrots and apple matchsticks. Add the dressing and give it a good toss to coat. Add the remaining pecans, sunflower seeds and blue cheese crumbles and toss again lightly.