These Salted Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treats are an easy, sweet and salty treat. Made with no refined sugars and all natural peanut butter, they are vegetarian, gluten free and paleo.
One day last week, I was craving something sweet and couldn’t stop thinking about marshmallowy rice crispy treats.
Since marshmallows aren’t vegetarian, I searched for recipes without it and found that there are so many out there! This one, though, from one of my favorite blogs, Detoxinista was exactly what I was looking for.
These crunchy and chewy treats are perfectly sweetened with honey and no refined sugars. I’ve added some chopped peanuts and a sprinkling of coarse sea salt to the top for that sweet and salty combination that I love.
I’ve made these twice in just the past week with different varieties of puffed and toasted rice…and did a bit of homework. The first time, I had puffed rice on hand and used that. They turned out wonderful, but they do have a different texture. The bars are a bit more chewy and slightly more dense.
Round two bars (the ones pictured here) were made with toasted, oven-crisped rice, like the Rice Krispies most of us grew up with. If you’re as nerdy about your food as I am, you may be interested to know the difference.
Toasted rice (pictured in the top cup) is actually cooked a bit with a small amount of a sweetener, then dried and rolled. It then goes into a crazy hot, six hundred and fifty degree Fahrenheit oven until crisp, light and bubbly.
Puffed rice, on the other hand, is pressure-expelled. Basically, the rice is moistened, then cooked in a pressurized machine that causes the moisture in the rice to expand and pop. The result of puffed rice is a bit more bland. Well, quite bland, with more of a puff instead of a crunch.
We did like both versions and really, this method of using honey and peanut butter is so wonderful. You could use your favorite unsweetened cereal in place of either varieties of rice.
So, hop in the kitchen today and whip these up for the week! I know you and your family will love them!
Salted Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treats
- 4 cups toasted or puffed rice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter without added salt or sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt I use pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- pinch coarse sea salt flakes
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment.
- Place the rice in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the honey to a boil. Reduce the heat immediately to medium and continue to boil for one minute.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the peanut butter and salt. Stir until smooth.
- Pour the peanut butter and honey mixture over the rice. Stir until well coated.
- Pour the rice into your prepared baking pan. Using a rubber spatula, press the rice into the pan evenly. Top with the chopped peanuts and a sprinkling of sea salt flakes and press once more. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before cutting into 16 2-inch squares.
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Adapted from Peanut Butter and Honey Rice Krispie Treats by Detoxinista
Some products I use in this recipe…
Note: This post contains affiliate links.