This hot cocoa recipe may be simple, but what you’ll end up with is a rich and cozy cup of cocoa made without refined sugar or dairy.
Isn’t the word simple just what you need right now? This time of the year especially. With the holiday season whirring around us and with so much to do, I begin to crave simplicity. This hot cocoa is a warming and comforting drink for cuddling up on the sofa at the end of a busy day. Doesn’t that sound amazing right now? Hmmhmm.
Most hot cocoa mixes are loaded with refined sugar, corn syrup, hydrogenated fats and chemicals. They seem convenient, but truly, making your own from home is not at all difficult. You probably already have all of the makings for this cocoa in your pantry!
To make this hot cocoa with nourishing ingredients, I start with unsweetened, non-dairy almond, coconut or cashew milk. I really like Silk’s products. Use whichever you prefer. I really like changing it up and using whatever I have on hand (see…I’m sticking to my simple theme). I will say, all three milks lend a different quality. The cashew milk is silky and creamy, the coconut milk will definitely add a mild coconut flavor and richness while the almond milk is really the most neutral of the three. Experiment and see which you like best!
I personally love using pure maple syrup to sweeten things up. Unrefined and a healthier alternative to artificial sweeteners, pure maple also contains minerals like zinc, potassium and calcium. If you prefer, honey is another healthy alternative to refined sugar.
Create a rich chocolate flavor by adding one square of non-dairy, dark chocolate to the pot! It makes a big difference! Just be aware, depending on the type of chocolate you use, it can add some sugar.
Another trick I love, is using an inexpensive frother to get that nice frothy top! It makes this cocoa feel more indulgent. If you don’t have one, you can use an immersion blender or a stand blender. Just be careful when blending hot liquids.
I hope you find a little time to make yourself a hot cup of cocoa, throw your feet up on the sofa and blissfully relax. Peace, my friends.
Simple Hot Cocoa
- 2 cups non-dairy milk almond milk, coconut milk or cashew milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy dark chocolate morsels or .5 ounce dark chocolate squares
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, add just 1/4 cup of the milk with the cocoa, sea salt and maple. Whisk until combined and free of lumps. Add the remaining milk and the dark chocolate and continue whisking until warmed through. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract.
- With a frother or immersion blender, create a bit of froth.
- Pour into mugs and serve.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.
This post contains affiliate links.