Stop your searching…this is the definitive vegan banana bread recipe. It’s the perfect balance of sweetness, tenderness and…here comes that word…moistness (sorry). Truly, it’s amazing!
What is it about banana bread that brings us comfort? Why is it that the scent of it baking instantly calms us. It’s kind of like a hug.
Banana bread is definitely having a moment right now. It’s simple to make with ingredients that are…hopefully…easy to get. Plus, just getting into the kitchen to bake…that process…it’s almost meditative and calming. Bring your family into the kitchen with you and share the joy together.
Once this loaf goes into the oven and gets baking, the smell alone brings on this feeling of familiarity and comfort.
There are a lot of us looking for that comfort right now. Right at this moment, please know, I’m sending you so much love and hopes for health, peacefulness and calm.
I’ve posted quite a few banana bread recipes here over the years, but, my friends, this vegan recipe is one that I think I’m most proud of. One thing I love about this is…there are no odd ingredients to replace anything. Simple. Easy-peasy. And if you’re not vegan…I promise you…no one…truly no one…will notice the difference.
This recipe has been tested and tweaked quite a bit. So, when I’m not in recipe testing mode, I can get a bit lax with my measurements. Measuring while cooking…and even baking (I’m shaking my head right now)…has never been my way. I mean…it explains why, before this blog, I couldn’t call myself a great baker.
But…this recipe…this has been measured mostly by weight. Why? Because my loaves were turning out so inconstant. And it was maddening. So, when I tell you that this really is the definitive banana bread recipe…believe me. I even wrote that down on paper as I took notes.
If you have a kitchen scale…I highly recommend using it. If you don’t, no problem, just follow the volume measurements exactly.
Again…I’m sending you all love and peace. I hope this brings you some sweetness and joy. xo
If you love this Vegan Banana Bread…
Vegan Banana Bread
- 2 cups (258g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (370g) mashed banana about 3 medium
- 3/4 cup (173g) organic granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup avocado oil or other plant-based oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or other plant-based milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts optional…but tasty
- 1 -2 teaspoons coarse turbinado sugar for topping optional…but also tasty
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a tiny bit of avocado oil, grease just the bottom of a 9×5 loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the mashed banana, sugar, oil, milk, vinegar and vanilla until frothy and blended well.
- Pour the banana mixture over the flour mixture and, using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix just until blended. If using, add the walnuts and mix in.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. I love to sprinkle that tiny bit of turbinado sugar over top before baking. It gives the loaf a nice crunchy top…it's so good! If you don't have turbinado, go ahead and use whatever sugar you do have.
- Bake 1 hour to 1 hour and 5 or 10 minutes. I start checking with a toothpick inserted into the center at the 1 hour mark.
- Cool for about 30 minutes in the pan, then continue cooling on a rack for at least one hour before slicing. I like storing my bread in a paper bag on the counter. It keeps the top nice and crunchy.
I LOVE SEEING PHOTOS OF RECIPES THAT YOU’VE MADE!
Before you take a bite, snap a photo with your phone, follow me on INSTAGRAM and tag it with #TASTELOVEANDNOURISH