Blueberry Oat Scones
These simple scones, with fiber-rich oats, have a great crumb with bursts of sweet blueberries and a tangy lemon glaze. They make weekend baking so much fun and leftovers are perfect for grab-and-go weekday mornings. Gluten free options.
- 1 1/2 cups 213g all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups 130g old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk of your choice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter frozen and grated on a box grater (see Notes)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- <b>Lemon Glaze:</b>
- 3/4 cup 90g confectioner's sugar, lightly packed
- zest of half a lemon
- 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, salt and sugar.
In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add the milk, vinegar and vanilla extract.
Blend the grated butter into the flour mixture until crumbs are formed. Add the milk mixture and the blueberries. Stir just until combined. Avoid overmixing.
Dump the dough onto a well floured surface. Work the dough into a round disc that measures 8 inches across. With a sharp knife, cut the disc into 8 equal wedges. Place the wedges onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
To prepare the glaze, mix the confectioner's sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice in a small bowl. Whisk until combined.
Allow the scones to cool on a baking rack a bit before drizzling with glaze.
Use butter straight from the freezer before grating. If you don't have any already frozen, just place a stick in the freezer for at least 20 minutes before grating. I like to grate on a box grater either right over the bowl of dry ingredients or over a sheet of waxed or parchment paper.
To make these scones gluten free, substitute the all purpose flour with gluten free all purpose flour and add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum.