Simple Hot Cocoa
This hot cocoa recipe may be simple, but what you'll end up with is a rich and cozy cup of cocoa made without refined sugar or dairy. |Vegan|Gluten Free|Dairy Free|
- 2 cups non-dairy milk almond milk, coconut milk or cashew milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy dark chocolate morsels or .5 ounce dark chocolate squares
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
In a small saucepan, over medium heat, add just 1/4 cup of the milk with the cocoa, sea salt and maple. Whisk until combined and free of lumps. Add the remaining milk and the dark chocolate and continue whisking until warmed through. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract.
With a frother or immersion blender, create a bit of froth.
Pour into mugs and serve.
Adding just a bit of the milk at the beginning helps dissolve the cocoa powder into the milk a little easier. You can certainly pour all of the milk in at once, but you may have a harder time getting rid of the clumps.
Optional: add 1 ounce of Kahlua for an adult hot cocoa!