I’ve eliminated all added sugar from my diet for the past month and I’ve never felt better. Once you get past the first few days, your cravings really do subside. The thing is, Halloween happened. And there’s that one candy that I think every parent steals from their kid’s stash…Almond Joy. Sigh. I love those things.
This smoothie is my answer to satisfying my taste buds without using any added sugar and without feeling at all deprived! I’ve been drinking a tall glass of Silk’s unsweetened milks whenever I feel like I need a treat. With no grams of sugar at all, they make me feel like I’ve had dessert! So, using Silk Unsweetened Coconutmilk, I knew I could create something that would make anyone push aside that bowl of candy and really enjoy this healthy treat.
- ½ cup ice cubes
- 1 frozen banana
- 1¾ cups Silk Unsweetened Coconut Milk (see Notes)
- 1½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 pitted prunes OR 1 large pitted Medjool date
- a few pinches of unsweetened shredded coconut for serving
- Add all of the ingredients, except the shredded coconut, into your blender in the order given. Blend on high speed until smooth. Be sure to give the prunes a chance to be blended thoroughly before serving.
- Top with the shredded coconut.
The prunes have about three grams of sugar each. It is all natural sugar from the fruit, none added. If you think you don't like prunes, I promise, they are absolutely undetectable in this! Dates work wonderfully too and if neither appeals to you, try using one tablespoon of honey in place of either of those.
If your banana was frozen when it was extra ripe, it may be sweet enough to omit adding the prunes or dates completely.
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.