We’ve had some big changes in my house this summer! After months and months of renovations, we finally moved my Mom up from Florida to live with us! It’s been really heartwarming to see her so happy. She’d been living alone for much too long. Although cooking and baking just came so naturally to her, my Mom’s health issues made it difficult for her to do those things alone. Grabbing a biscotti with her cup of coffee became her routine. I can’t argue that biscotti is amazing with a cup of coffee, but I wanted her to have something more filling and nutritious to start her day.
Muesli is one of my favorite morning mixes! I love it simply made the night before with some fresh summer fruit and some almond milk, but baking with muesli is genius! With its mix of sunflower seeds, raisins, dates, almonds, walnuts and grains…it becomes a perfect blend of sweetness and crunch. I love Bob’s Red Mill’s Old Country Style Muesli. Bob’s is a brand I trust and am so proud to work with.
We’ve played around with this recipe a bit this summer and have added some chopped peaches, apricots and even blueberries. This base is wonderful on its own, but feel free to adapt it with your favorite seasonal fruit!
I’m really excited for what’s ahead for the blog! My Mom has always been my inspiration and is the reason why I love to cook. With her beside me in the kitchen, you can expect a lot more variety and maybe even a glimpse of us cooking together.
- 2 cups muesli
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut sugar or dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 medium to large banana
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine the muesli, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg. Add the banana and mash with a fork. Add the oil and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Add the wet ingredient to the dry and mix to combine. The mixture will be a bit thick.
- Press the dough into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Transfer to a wire baking rack to cool completely before cutting into 12 bars.
Thank you for supporting the brands I trust and use myself, like Bob’s Red Mill. Visit them here for more information and recipes!