I’m never sure why I’m surprised by how quickly summer passes. I feel this way every year…and no, I’m never, ever ready for the back-to-school routine. I love my lingering breakfasts and coffee on the deck with my daughter. My baby is beginning her final year of high school next week…what? I’m going to need tissues, friends…lots of them.
We spent a lot of time together this summer. Katie has been assisting me on the blog for a while, but she’s inspired me to do something I’ve always said I’d never do…video! Creating video is certainly her talent…not mine…and I’m so proud of her! See the world premier below!
So, about getting back to the school-year routine…packing lunches has always been challenging. Sure, PB&J’s are an easy fallback, but being able to combine easy, healthy and delicious while keeping some variety is hard work. We discovered this incredible chickpea sandwich this summer and I have to admit, we make it a couple of times a week. Using chickpeas this way is a great vegetarian alternative to traditional tuna salad sandwiches. Personally, I think this is so much better!
Chickpea Smash Sandwich
- 15 ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or vegenaise see Notes for vegan options
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- salt and pepper to taste
- your favorite bread
- optional toppings:
- romaine lettuce or mixed greens
- avocado slices
- tomato slices
- red onion slices
- pickle slices
- hot pepper slices
- In a medium bowl, smash the chickpeas with a potato masher until mostly smashed. I like to keep it a bit chunky to retain some texture. Add the remaining ingredients up to the salt and pepper. Mix to combine before topping off your favorite slice of bread.