I love kale. I could eat it any way you give it to me. My family…not so much. They love baby kale (like this salad), with its softer and more delicate texture, but they just don’t seem to like the coarseness of mature Curly Kale (the one most of us will find in our grocery store). I get it. It really can be tough. It’s that texture that makes it perfect for a “slaw”. So, I figured if I take those leaves and run my knife through them to get a nice shred, mix them with some other colorful veggies then toss with some flavors they love…they’d eat that darn kale!
- 1 bunch curley kale, shredded
- ½ head small red cabbage, shredded
- 3 - 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 4 green onions, sliced thin diagonally
- ¼ cup soy sauce (use tamari to keep this vegan and gluten-free)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar or dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- ½ cup almond slivers, toasted
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Shred all of your veggies by hand. A processor will shred too finely. For the kale, I run my knife through, starting at the top of the stalk and julienne until about half-way down, where the stalk begins to get really tough. Then, I pull those bottom leaves off, shred them and discard the rest of the stem. I use my knife for the cabbage too then the box grater to shred the carrots. As you shred everything, put all of the veggies in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients up to the olive oil. Then, pour the dressing over the shredded veggies. Toss a bit and refrigerate for at least 15 to 20 minutes (if you can wait that long!).
- Sprinkle the top with the sesame seeds, almonds and the sea salt just before serving and toss once more.
- This slaw will keep for one more day after it's made, but gets watery beyond that.
More Kale recipes you’ll love…
Curly Kale Salad with Almonds Chorizo and Sherry Dressing from Lavender and Lovage
Cheezy Spicy Kale Chips from Lunch Box Bunch
Kale Salad with Blue Cheese and Pickled Carrots from Healthy Delicious
Kale Salad with a Tahini Lemon Dressing from Full Measure of Happiness