Working from home can be very isolating at times. Especially when you get bogged down with lots and lots of work. No matter how busy things get, I try to schedule at least one get together with a friend each week for lunch, a quick cup of coffee or some creative venture. Those little breaks leave me feeling renewed, relaxed and ready to get back to work.
Typically, I always try to get out of the house, but recently, with some work being done on our home, I had a dear friend over for a little lunch around my kitchen counter and lots of chit-chat! I’ve had this salad on my mind for a while, so I figured this was a perfect time to test it out.
This yummy recipe is inspired by Giada De Laurentiis’s Lemon Mustard Potato Salad from her book, Giada’s Feel Good Food. I love all of the flavor in the potatoes and how the same dressing is tossed into the arugula. There’s a nice balance of flavors between the creamy baby potatoes and the zest they get being roasted with a lemony dressing, then that buttery crunch of toasted walnuts and the slight bite of arugula. This is one of those salads that sits well, making it really nice for a buffet or a potluck. It’s naturally vegan and gluten-free, so everyone can enjoy it!
Lemon Dijon Potato Salad
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- zest of one large lemon
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves about 6 sprigs, stripped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds baby red potatoes halved
- pinch of kosher salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 2 medium carrots julienned or coarsely shredded
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces toasted
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk all of the dressing ingredients together. Remove 3 tablespoons of the dressing into a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the halved potatoes to the large bowl and toss with your hands until well coated. Arrange the potatoes on the baking sheet in a single layer. Season with a pinch of salt and pinch of pepper. Roast the potatoes for about 40 minutes or until golden and fork tender.
- In the large bowl, add the arugula and the carrots. Top with the 3 tablespoons of reserved dressing and toss well until combined.
- Arrange the arugula mixture onto a large platter. Top with the potatoes and sprinkle on the walnuts.
Inspired by Lemon-Mustard Potato Salad from Giada’s Feel Good Food, Giada De Laurentiis.