This may be one of the most delicious chilis you’ll ever make! Hearty lentils and black beans paired with so much flavor will satisfy everyone, vegan, vegetarian or not! This reader favorite has even won a couple of chili cook-offs!
Many years ago, good friends of ours held a chili cook-off. It was so much fun! We all brought our own versions of chili and blindly taste-tested. Blindly, in that we didn’t know who’s was who’s…but admittedly, there may have been margaritas involved!
It was interesting to see different interpretations of what we all refer to as “chili”. Some had no beans at all, just ground meat, while others had a mixture of the two.
The hostess had made hers with lentils. It was really delicious and it’s always stuck with me. Since then, I’ve been meaning to try making a chili made with lentils…so, ten years later…
I created many pots of chili to get these flavors exactly how I wanted. Honestly, I think this blend of spices and balance of flavors are perfection.
The chipotle and the Tabasco add some heat and tanginess to the pot, but I like to serve this with some more Tabasco on top…along with avocado cubes, plant-based sour cream, plant-based shredded cheddar cheese and lots of fresh cilantro.
You can make a pot of rice to go along with this, some corn bread or even just some tortilla chips. I know you’ll love this!
So, if I’m ever invited to another chili cook off…this is what I’m bringing!
Black Bean and Lentil Chili
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 4 medium to large carrots diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 - 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups lentils sorted and rinsed
- 29 ounce can tomato sauce
- 29 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels
- 12 ounce jar roasted red peppers diced
- 1 - 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- salt* and pepper to taste
- Tabasco or jalapeno hot sauce
- plant-based sour cream
- avocado cubes
- plant-based shredded cheddar
- a squeeze of lime
- fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large heavy pot over medium high heat, add the olive oil, then the onion, celery and carrots. Sauté until the onions have softened, then add the garlic and continue to cook for just one minute.
- Add the spices next through the bay leaf. Cook for about two more minutes to get them fragrant.
- Add the broth (start with 5 cups first, you may need an additional cup later to thin the sauce out), lentils and tomato sauce and raise the heat to high, bringing the broth to a boil. Once it boils, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for about 30 minutes to get the lentils tender.
- Add the black beans, corn, red peppers, Tabasco and maple and continue to cook for about 20 more minutes. Add the extra cup of broth, if needed.
- Serve in bowls with the toppings of your choice.
If you love this Black Bean and Lentil Chili, you’ll love…
This Vegetarian Chili has the most perfect blend of spices and balance of flavors that will have you coming back to it again and again.
You are going to love these Vegetable and Quinoa Stuffed Zucchinis! Simple and delicious, these can be assembled ahead of time and baked when ready to eat! They are vegetarian, gluten-free with vegan options. Get a printable recipe here!
This Vegetable Cacciatore, served with the tastiest and creamiest recipe for Soft Polenta, has all of the flavor of traditional cacciatore and may become your favorite bowl of comfort food. Get both recipes here!
I LOVE SEEING PHOTOS OF RECIPES THAT YOU’VE MADE!
Before you take a bite, snap a photo with your phone, follow me on INSTAGRAM and tag it with #TASTELOVEANDNOURISH