Vegetable Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms

Vegetable Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms

When I was still in the “just-thinking-about-maybe-at-some-point-starting-a-food-blog” phase, I really didn’t think I’d be going this far in the vegetarian direction. I think my daughter not eating meat has really had an impact, a good one, on all of us. We do still eat meat, but rarely. It’s surprising to find that there are so many vegetarian options that are satisfying in a way that doesn’t make you stop and think, “I’m only eating this because it’s healthy…I’d rather be eating a pork chop right now.” You know what I mean. Healthy and vegetarian can be delicious and satisfying.

That’s where portabellas come in. They are a fat, meaty, flavorful fungi and really versatile. Stuffing them this way, with the sautéed vegetables and just a bit of breadcrumbs and cheese, tastes like they can’t be good for you…but they are! It looks so cheesy, but there really is very little. Between the mushroom and the vegetables, there is so much flavor, you really don’t need a lot of cheese or fat to make it taste good.

Don’t worry, meat-eaters! I actually do have a great steak idea coming soon! It came to me this afternoon and I am so excited to share it! In the meantime…enjoy these babies…they’ll make you happy!

Oh…and this mushroom humor may may not make you happy…Why was the mushroom a big hit at the party? Because he was a really fungi! :)

Messy? Yes. Sometimes messy is delicious!

Vegetable Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms

4 large portabella mushrooms, wiped with a damp paper towel and stalk trimmed
2 T. olive oil
1 large sweet onion, diced
2 medium zucchini, diced
1 roasted red pepper, diced
4 – 6 sun dried tomatoes, chopped
2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced
large handful of spinach
pinch of dried oregano, crushed between your fingers
dash of crushed red pepper flakes
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 C. dried breadcrumbs
1/4 C. grated Parmesan
1/4 C. mozzarella cheese (I use the mozzarella made with 2% milk)

Line a sided baking sheet with parchment paper. Rub each mushroom with a bit of olive oil and set them on the sheet, stalk side up.

In a 12″ sauté pan over medium high heat, add the olive oil then the onions. Sauté for 3 or 4 minutes, then add the zucchini and continue to cook as the zucchini begins to soften. Next add the red pepper and tomatoes. Cook for another few minutes. When the onions have become translucent and soft, add the garlic. Cook for one minute and add the spinach.

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Once the spinach wilts, remove the pan from the heat and add the rest of the ingredients, up to the Parmesan. Stir to combine.

Divide the mixture in four; I spread the mixture out evenly in the pan and using my spoon, just slice through like a pie to divide equally. Stuff each mushroom with a quarter of the mixture.

Bake in the oven for about 35 to 40 minutes. Now, top each with about 1 tablespoon of the mozzarella and continue baking for another 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cheese is just beginning to get golden on top.

Notes:

• Serve this with a big salad and a small side of pasta with olive oil or butter.
FacebookTwitterGoogle+TumblrKindle ItStumbleUponRedditEmailPrintFriendlyShare a little love...

49 thoughts on “Vegetable Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms

1. Cristina

Hi there, This looks so yummy and I can’t wait to try it. Any suggestions on making ahead of time and then warming. Dinner party after work during the week. I appreciate any advice. Thanks

1. Caroline Hurley Post author

I’m so glad you’ll be making these, Cristina! You can absolutely make these ahead of time! Just prepare and stuff the mushrooms and refrigerate them on the baking sheet until ready to bake. Remove them about 20 minutes before baking and continue as directed. I hope you love them!

2. Emily

Made these tonight and we loved them! They reminded me of a veggie pizza. Super good and I would definitely make them again. I made my mom and dads with the cheese and bread crumbs and mine with out (No gluten or dairy for me!). They seemed very happy with theirs and I loved mine!

1. Caroline Hurley Post author

I’m so happy to hear you all liked this, Emily! Great to know they taste yummy without the breadcrumbs or cheese! I’ll have to try them that way. You’re so sweet to take the time to comment…thanks a bunch!

3. liz

i’m a vegetarian – i made this tonight for my non-veggie boyfriend because i wanted something quick and healthy. it was delicious…we both LOVED it! it is definitely going in my regular cooking rotation! thanks for a great recipe. :)

a few changes: i halved the recipe and used raw bell peppers and panko instead of traditional breadcrumbs. still delicious all around!

1. Caroline

I love that idea of using the red peppers and panko, Liz! I’ll have to try that. I’m thrilled you both liked this so much! We do too! Thanks so much for taking the time to let me know!

4. Bethany

I just discovered your blog and I love it so far! Question on portobella mushrooms….are you supposed to take out the gills? I’ve not much experience with them. Thanks, and I look forward to exploring more of your recipes!

1. Caroline

I’m so happy you found me, Bethany! I don’t remove the gills from the mushrooms. The only thing I do is wipe them down and if the stalk is a bit long, I’ll trim it down level with the gills. I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Enjoy!

5. Madly

Hi there, these look great and will be making tonight for sure, sans mozzarella and Parmesan. Just one thing,.. Parmesan is not vegetarian as it contains Rennet, which is the lining of a cow or calfs stomach. However you can buy Vegetarian Parmesan in the health food store.

1. Caroline

Thanks for pointing that out Maddy! Absolutely, use Vegetarian Parmesan in place of the regular if you like. Honestly though, there is a lot of great flavor from the veggies that you could forgo the cheese altogether. So glad you’re making this…let me know how it turned out!

6. CamiCakes

Hi, Caroline! Just discovered your site today while searching for a stuffed portobello recipe. I already had my ingredients that I made up in my head but I used your recipe for cooking direction guidance. They came out great! Also, I have been browsing your site and all its treasures for the last hour! My mom is a nervous and not very adept cook so I was not welcome in the kitchen as a child. But thankfully I now cook everyday for my hubby and two toddlers. Baking was my first love. Cooking is growing on me… Mostly because I enjoy healthy combinations and it’s exciting to create something delicious from healthy ingredients. Anyway, sorry for the length of this but I wanted to let you know I appreciate what you’re doing and will be back often!

1. Caroline

Cami, you have no idea how much your message means to me. I’m so happy you love being in the kitchen and find joy in creating your own recipes and so flattered this blog can help a little. I love to bake too, but honestly, I wish I was better at it! I’m so bad about measuring…that may have something to do with it! ;) Thank you for being the sweetest ever and taking the time to write to me. I so grateful!

7. April

I cant wait to make these for a friend for his upcoming birthday who is obsessed with mushrooms . I might add bacon, well, just because!

1. Caroline

First off…Happy Birthday to your friend! How sweet of you to cook for him! I love the addition of bacon in this April. Great idea! Let me know how it turned out! I’d love to hear back.

8. lvg

Hello Caroline! I just wanted to say I followed this recipe but I ended up using cauliflower instead of zucchini and green pepper instead of red and it was DELICIOUS! I was looking for healthier vegetarian options and came across your blog randomly. Thank you for posting this and I will post a pic of what my dish looked like on your Facebook page! Looking forward to more recipes (especially those including pumpkin!)!

1. Caroline

Laura…your message could not have made me happier! I love that you adapted this…that’s exactly what I want everyone to do…make it your own…and LOVE it! I loved that photo!!! And we should let everyone know you added some marinara on the side…I love that idea! I cannot wait to make this again and try that! So glad you found my site and look forward to chatting with you some more! Keep an eye out…I’ve got a pretty creative pumpkin recipe coming soon…fingers crossed that it won’t be a flop! ;)

9. Debra

I just made these amazing stuffed mushrooms for the very first time. Fantastic!! I am vegetarian, and my family is not. I made 4 huge mushrooms and used the parchment paper. They did not stick at all. The family raved about the mushrooms, which was really nice to hear. Thank You so much for the recipe. It made a great Labor Day meal!

1. Caroline

Yay! I’m so glad you and your family all liked these mushrooms Debra! It was really generous of you to come back to let me know! This just made my day! :D Thank you!

10. Jessica

Yum! I especially liked them left over and cold. They were beautiful and made a great impression for a pre-wedding lunch. Thanks for sharing.

1. Caroline

Jessica, you just put a huge smile on my face! First, congratulations to the newly married couple! I’m so flattered this recipe was part of the event! I’ve never tried this cold, but you’ve peeked my interest! Next time I’ll have to make some extra just for me! ;) Thanks so much for taking the time to message me!

11. Becky

I just made these and they were DELICIOUS, but the mushrooms shrunk and became very flat and they stuck to the paper. They didn’t turn out very pretty for me but I am definitely going to try them again!

1. Caroline

Oh, I’m so happy you liked these Becky! I’m not exactly sure if this is the reason, but try using more olive oil next time when you rub the mushroom down (that sounded odd, I know…but, you know what I mean;) The mushrooms do shrink a bit, but I think if there isn’t enough olive oil coating them, they’ll shrink a bit more and will stick. Let me know how it works out! Thanks for taking the time to let me know…I really appreciate that!

12. Jen

Delish! Thank you for the tasty vegetarian recipe, hubby & I both loved our stuffed Portabellas. We’ll definitely be making them again! :)

13. Tiffany

I just made these (I am literally clearing the plates as I type) and they were SO GOOD! Thank you for posting this delicious recipe!

1. Caroline

Tiffany, compliments like yours are the absolute best! It’s so nice to hear from someone who’s made and enjoyed a recipe! I’m so happy you liked this…it’s one of my favorites. I make it often. Thank you so much for coming back to let me know!

1. Caroline

Thanks so much Becca! They are pretty stuffed! :) The good thing about them is that it’s mostly veggies…makes them hearty without being too full of fat!

1. Caroline

Thanks so much Diana! I’m so glad you are interested! There is a sign up for my newsletter on most every page in the top right corner…or you can do it through this link: http://eepurl.com/yJ1gD You’ll get just one or two a week.

Thank you for stopping by!

14. sylvia Thomas

I made these tonight for dinner, delicious!! They taste like pizza without the carbs. Will definitely be making these again.

1. Caroline

Sylvia, I am so thrilled that you liked it so much! I agree…they do taste like pizza! It was so nice of you to take the time to come back and let me know…you really put a huge smile on my face! :D

15. Sue c

Just browsing for a healthy vegetarian recipe for my 16 year old recently turned vegetarian. Got to love these teenagers! These look delicious! On the menu tonight. Thanks

1. Caroline

I’m so flattered that you chose this dish to make for your family! I hope you love it as much as we do! It seems challenging, at first, with the whole vegetarian thing. But, after a while, you find that there really are lots of options. It gets easier! :) Check back…we can go through this together!

16. Tracey

Hi Caroline!
    Tried your recipe last night – turned out beautifully. I substituted ripe (black) olives for the red peppers and left out the breadcrumbs, and it was still wonderful. Thanks for the inspiration!

1. Caroline

Tracy, that is awesome! Thanks so much. Nothing I love more than hearing back and especially how you’ve adapted it…makes my day! So glad it works without the breadcrumbs…I’ll try that next time!